You picked the perfect yarn. You knit the perfect hat. But now you can't decide on which pom pom to put on top. Sometimes the smallest decisions are the hardest to make. So instead, don't make the decision at all - make your pom pom removable so you can change out your pom pom whenever you want!
Why Should You Add a Removable Pom Pom
- If you can't decide which size or color pom pom, make it removable gives you the freedom of swapping out your pom pom whenever you want!
- Pom poms don't always fair well in a wash cycle, so you can take off a removable pom pom before you wash your hat.
- Sometimes big pom poms can be a burden when worn underneath a hood or under a bike helmet. Simply take it off a removable pom pom so you can add another layer over your hand knit hat.
- A faux fur pom pom with small elastic loop attached. Or, if you're using a handmade pom pom, make sure the ends of your center tie are long enough to secure around a button.
- A button to sew on the inside of the hat.
- Yarn needle and scrap yarn to fit the size of the button holes.
- Hook tool or crochet hook.
How to Add a Removable Pom Pom
- Sew the button on the inside of the hat, opposite of where your pom pom sits.
- Bring your hook tool from the inside of the hat to the outside, close to the button placement, and hook it through the elastic loop of your pom pom. Pull the elastic loop into the inside of your hat.
- Secure the elastic loop over the button.
If you're using a handmade pom pom, bring the long ends of the pom pom through the top of the hat as you would the elastic loop and tie it around the button. We suggest tying it in a bow so you can easily remove it.
This trick is one of our favorites since it adds so much versatility to your wardrobe. Want to add a removable pom pom to your hat? Check out our collection of pom poms and Removable Pom Pom Kit here: